Thursday, April 20, 2023

The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do (2010)


 

“There are only two times. Now and too late.”
- Anh Do's dad

I've run into Anh Do via my son's book collection (Ninja Kid, E-Boy, Weirdo) and I thought this happiest refugee dude who is a stand-up comedian must be another person. I did a quick google a few years ago (I check out the authors of the books we read) and there's another Anh Do who finished law school at the University of Technology, Sydney. I thought at that time, "There sure are a lot of Anh Dos out there!"

I have just finished reading Anh Do's memoir and I am blown away by not just what he has accomplished (writing books, running interesting businesses, competing at Dancing with the Stars, hosting TV shows, acting in films, etc. etc. etc.) but more so with his ability to rise above his circumstances, the gratefulness and zest for life that radiate with everything he does, his love for his family, and his earnestness to remain true to his core values.

You could say that Anh Do is a master showman. But there's nothing in this book that feels remotely like he's saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He tells his story in a gleeful way, full of humility, and with a sense of marvel at how amazing life is with its myriad of twists and turns.

I caught myself saying a few times, "This Anh Do is an amazing human being!"

No comments: