Sunday, July 7, 2024

Bookshop Crawl (Adelaide City edition, Day 2)

One day is not enough for a bookshop crawl in Adelaide City. On this second day (check here for the first day, in case you've missed it), I’m starting at the city’s famous Central Market. I’ll more than likely get distracted with the bread, cheeses, sausages, sweets, fruits, and vegetables but I need to remind myself again that I’m on a mission!

I’ll give myself 30 minutes of wander and then go to see Barry at Central Market Books. Barry and I like talking about books we’re reading, and this has made me return to work late not a few times.  

Central Market Books

Adelaide Central Market, H1 (Eastern Roadway opposite Standom Smallgoods
Adelaide, SA 5000

While there are several scrumptious options for lunch at the Central Market, I’ll have to head to Waymouth Street to check on Booknook & Bean. The cafĂ© has a small collection of secondhand books that you can take home and an Honesty Box where you can put in a donation. Funds go to an organisation which offers micro loans in developing countries to help alleviate poverty. Now you know why you must absolutely drop in here.

 


Booknook and Bean
Topham Mall 18, 52-54 Waymouth Street
Adelaide, SA 5000
https://www.facebook.com/booknookandbean

 

I’ll meander next to Imprints, a jewel of a bookshop in Hindley Street. A few months ago, buzz has gone around that the owners of the store, after 40 years, have decided to place the store on the market. If you're interested in owning a fully operational bookshop as you don't have the time to build one from scratch, this could be your opportunity!


Imprints
107 Hindley Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
 

Then off to O’Connell’s Bookshop, a sprawling secondhand bookshop. This shop used to be in Hindley Street when I first started dropping by in 2009, enthralled with Graham Greene. The bookshop has since moved a little further down to Bank Street. There was a point I was going crazy because I couldn’t get my Masters of Rome by Colleen McCullough collection in a uniform size. Today, I love gazing at my complete hardbound set, many thanks to Ben. Established in 1957, I will say with absolute certainty that you will not leave this bookshop emptyhanded.

O’Connell’s Bookshop

19 Bank Street (14b Station Arcade), Adelaide, SA 5000
https://www.abebooks.com/oconnells-bookshop-adelaide/1403738/sf

The last bookstore for this bookshop crawl will be Page &Turner at the Myer Center. It also sells entertainment media. The bookshop is sectioned so it caters to readers of varied interests. My favourite spot is the children’s section with comfortable seating. The Enid Blytons transport me to a time when I put up a Secret Seven group with pals in fourth grade. I made badges and had members memorise a password. While I remember the top-secret password (commander-in-chief-private-first-class-sergeant-billy-goat-legs), I cannot recall now from which book I picked up that clause. These days, me and my son’s favourite password is, “marcus-vipsanius-agrippa”. Mark closes late on Fridays so this may be a good day to schedule your second book crawl day.

Page & Turner
Level 2, Myer Centre, Rundle Mall, Adelaide, SA 5000

I’ll celebrate the end of the two-day Adelaide City bookshop crawl with a toast at the Bibliotheca Bar and Book Exchange (by this time, I am hoping friends have joined me along the way). It’s got books, book-themed cocktails, and the ambience is pitch-perfect for book afficionados. And I this I must say: I’m not a big fan of toasties, but Bibliotheca’s toasties have made me a convert.

 


Bibiliotheca Bar and Book Exchange
1/27 Gresham St., Adelaide, SA 5000

A gentle reminder when you plan your bookshop crawl. Most of these establishments are closed on Sundays and Mondays so best to work around Tuesday to Saturday.

Until the next bookshop crawl!

No comments: