Saturday, July 6, 2024

Bookshop Crawl (Adelaide City edition, Day 1)

I've been wistfully thinking lately how I must make time to walk around the city without haste, visit my favourite bookshops, read, sip coffee. I have drawn up my route, punctuated with caffeine. 

I’ll start the day with a fortifying brunch and get into a book mood at Coffylosophy. Established ten years ago, the cafe offers a wonderful array of meals and beverages. Harsh and team are gregarious and friendly, but I’ll make a big effort to extricate myself from their company. Today, I’m on a mission!



Coffylosophy
198A Hutt Street, Adelaide, SA 5000

After that satisfying brunch, I’ll walk along Hutt Street. The first stop is Oxfam Books, which has a collection of well categorised second-hand books. I’m aware it is too easy here to get caught up in conversations with volunteers. I recall one time listening to a fascinating exchange at the checkout counter about Cicero and his beloved daughter Tullia who predeceased him. Apparently, Shakespeare’s oft quoted line “To be or not to be” originally came from one of Cicero’s letters to Atticus.

Oxfam Books

Suites 2-3/81-89 Hutt Street, Adelaide, SA 5000

Thereafter, I’ll head to New Morning Books in Frome Street. John is wonderful and can be especially helpful with finding those missing books in a collection.  I vividly remember my joy when I finally tracked down and completed my Alexander by Valerio Massimo Manfredi set.

New Morning Books

155 Frome St., Adelaide, SA 5000
 

By this time, I am ready for my second caffeine dose. Heading towards Grenfell Street, I’ll turn at Twin Street. It’s a narrow alley and I remind myself to walk slowly, so I don’t miss it. There’s takeaway coffee at Everything Brewtiful. Kevin making coffee is pure sunshine and I have started referring to him as my adopted son.

 


Everything Brewtiful
10 Twin St., Adelaide, SA 5000
 

A hop and skip away from the takeaway coffee shop is the iconic Adelaide Arcade. There are two shops here I must absolutely visit: Peter and Michael’s adorable Adelaide Comics Centre and Kate and Nick’s well-curated Orchard Bookshop.

Adelaide Comics Centre

Shop 6G Gay’s Arcade Adelaide Arcade, Rundle Mall, Adelaide, SA 5000
 
Orchard Bookshop
Shop 26, Adelaide Arcade, Rundle Mall, Adelaide, SA 5000
 

By this time, I am ready for my pop fix, so I step out of the Adelaide Arcade and walk across to QBD. There are usually sales happening here of books, games, trinkets that I often end up purchasing random items for family and friends.

QBD Books Rundle Mall

138 Rundle Mall, Adelaide, SA 5000
 

And of course, there’s Dymocks, the leading bookseller in Australia. I was deeply perturbed when Dymocks in Adelaide closed in April 2021 following long-time franchisee Mandy Macky’s decision to retire. I trawled news regularly trying to find out where they were going to relocate. There was a rumour that Dymocks would open a temporary shop somewhere on Gawler Place. I remember walking up and down that street during my lunch breaks, despondent that I couldn't see any sign of a bookshop opening activity. Then they opened a popup shop at the Myer Centre. It was a gloomy location and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who kept annoying staff asking when and where they would set up a more permanent store. The wait was definitely worth it after Dymocks announced that it was opening at the Regent Theatre. What an absolute coup to relocate to this historical, light-filled, airy building! 

Dymocks

Regent Theatre, Level 1, Shop 45, Rundle Mall
Adelaide City, SA 5000
 

Now it’s time to enjoy the fruits of my day's labour. I’ll conclude the day with a late lunch at the Penguin-themed Script and Bean nestled within Dymocks. The cafĂ© opened early this year, perfectly complementing (or more accurately, "completing") the bookstore.  It is delightful to listen to Ann and Stuart's serendipitous story of how they came to establish this charming cafe in the bookshop. 

 


Script and Bean
Regent Theatre, Level 1, Shope 45, Rundle Mall
Adelaide City, SA 5000

I head home for an evening-filled reading. In the morrow I shall continue with my bookshop crawl.
See: Bookshop Crawl (Adelaide City edition, Day 2)

No comments: